Heather picking her navel lint while thinking about sleep...

I joined face book this past week, coerced by a friend who I've know for 18 years. I talk to her at least once a week, what could we accomplish on face book. She wants me to view her pictures. After 3 days of face-booking I have 15 friends. I am so popular... Wee!
I can see why face book is so popular:it's easy, simple, and clean. The little blurb at the top is like sending a text message to all of your 567 close personal friends. It's design makes the most mundane of tasks seem special. "Heather is watching Smallville and popping a zit, while petting her dog." Go me!
I just don't get the appeal. Facebook tells me I can search for old high-school classmates, or in my case, the small few who knew I existed. "Reconnect with old friends", they say. Well there is a reason I de-connected with them. "But don't you want to see who is doing what and who married who?" That makes reunions obsolete which is probably a good thing. Marriot hotels around the country will now be spared the former high school jocks slugging on Vodka tonics while hitting on divorced cheerleaders as they gyrate to Debbie Gibson. No, I really don't care that Doug, my first crush, married Pam, head cheerleader and had three kids and now live in suburban bliss. Or that Ian, the wrestler who called me names is a fat depressed lawyer.( Ok, that was satisfying when I ran into him back in West Palm Beach)
Some of my new 'friends' on F-book, I've met once or twice and it easy to stay updated. And that's the issue for me- in the old days communication was hard: hand written letters, paid phone calls, and road trips. If the person is worth keeping, I'll do the work. I keep the page for now and keep my new aquaintances abrest of my business. My close circle, I'll call on the phone and fly a plane to see them. That's why I can count my true friends on one hand. And they are friends forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should write more over here. If you just write about your life, like you tell it, you inevitably find your funny. I enjoy this blog much more than fatpants. I understand fatpants is about having someone to be responsible to about the weight you are working on losing and that is very important as you still are fighting so hard just to find value in you. But so much of YOU is missing there. Though I do find it amazingly valuable in another area. You talk about things I can never get you to talk about and I get a new insight to Heather about things I wondered, suspected or had no idea. After all these years, I'm still learning. I hate that you're struggling with depression. Stop it beautiful girl. No really, you know you can be sad or depressed and talk to me, right. Just tell me to SHUT UP. Only nicer and that you need some time to talk and be heard too. That you're low and you need to talk and then make sure I hear it and let you talk. I admit, I keep getting us off track lately with me, me, me. I can't seem to stop myself (I'm so tired of not being able to stop myself). But I want to be there for you. So tell me and I will do my very best. I know you have other wonderful friends who listen to you. And if you're getting what you need then, great, but if you need me the way I've been needing you, tell me. And find your funny. I adore you. Even when I'm low and can't express it, my mind is reacting to the things you say that are funny. *picks at your navel lint*